Credits for Prior Learning
Veterans and military students may be eligible for credit from training and experiences in the armed forces. Follow the links below to learn more.
- Credit from Military Experience
- Prior Learning Assessment
- About Credit for Prior Learning (American Council on Education)
- Military Evaluations (American Council on Education)
- The ACE Military Guide (American Council on Education)
Newly admitted students schedule their courses for their first semester at Penn State during New Student Orientation. After that, enrolled veterans are eligible for priority (early) scheduling.
Veterans may schedule classes ahead of students without priority registration based on the timeline set by each campus, but once general registration begins veteran students will compete for class spaces along with all other students allowed to register at that time. Check with the campus registrar to determine which date is applicable to you.
To exercise this benefit, veterans should send a copy of the Member 4 section of their DD 214 (indicating character of discharge) and active duty service members should send a letter from their command stating their dates of service. These documents should be submitted to your campus certifying official or the Office of Veterans Programs at University Park.
Additional Resources for Veterans
- Penn State Office of Veterans Programs
- Penn State Office of Veterans Affairs and Services
- Penn State World Campus/Online Education for Military Students
- Penn State Wilkes-Barre Veterans Support Club
For more information on veterans’ benefits, please contact Diana Coslett, Veterans Certifying Official, at 570-675-9242 or [email protected].