To establish guidelines and procedures for the distribution and collection of loaner laptops.
This policy applies to all Penn State Wilkes-Barre full-time and part-time faculty, staff, and students at Penn State.
Loaner Laptop – A portable computer suitable for use while traveling
ADG01 – Glossary of Computerized Data and System Terminology
The ITS office maintains an inventory of loaner laptops which can be borrowed by faculty, staff, and students. Borrowers of loaner laptops are responsible for the return of the device to the ITS office. The borrower accepts responsibility for the laptop and agrees to abide by all laws and Penn State policies including but not limited to:
- AD20 – Computer and Network Security
- AD57 – General Regulations on Use of University Property
- ADG02 – Computer Facility Security Guideline
The ITS office will make every effort to accommodate requests; however, there is a limited pool of resources, and they will be distributed per the ITS office's discretion.
- The ITS office at Penn State Wilkes-Barre will be responsible to ensure that all loaner laptops are re-imaged upon their return.
- The borrower is granted a local admin account on the laptop and may install software required for business purposes only.
- The borrower should avoid storing any documents on the loaner laptop. Upon its return the system will be sanitized and these documents will be lost.
- Laptops may be loaned out for 7 days at a time. Special arrangements with the ITS office must be arranged ahead of time if the laptop is needed for a longer period.
- If the borrower fails to return the equipment in the same condition as when received, the borrower accepts financial responsibility for the repair or replacement of the equipment.
- If the borrower fails to return the equipment on the due date, the borrower accepts financial responsibility for the replacement of the equipment.
- Laptops will be loaned on a first come, first served basis. Although every effort will be made to accommodate special requests, there is a limited pool of resources and they will be distributed per the ITS office's discretion.
- When traveling internationally, it is the ITS office's recommendation that a loaner laptop is utilized and that the users primary machine stays within the United States.