Adult Learner Award

After serving six years in the Army National Guard and being deployed to Afghanistan, Margaret Haydock, a senior administration of justice major from Nanticoke, was honored with the 2009 Outstanding Adult Learner Award. Haydock was recognized for her high academic achievement and community service. "I'm proud that I won the award and to be recognized by Penn State is quite an honor," said Haydock.

A recipient of many National Guard service medals, Haydock has maintained a cumulative 3.91 grade-point average while volunteering for several organizations. She is a board member for the Greater Nanticoke Area School District Family Center and a volunteer maintenance worker for the Honey Pot Playground Association. "It's important that there's a place for kids to go and play. I fought for my country and now I want to do the same for my community," she adds.

While at Penn State Wilkes-Barre, Haydock has been a member of both Phi Theta Kappa and Alpha Sigma Lambda Honor Societies. The twenty-five year old single mother also holds an associate's degree in criminal justice from Luzerne County Community College.

Haydock is currently employed as a part-time counselor's assistant at Clem-Mar House. Her immediate plans include campaigning for a seat on the Nanticoke City Council and pursuing a master's degree in criminal justice.

For information contact Mark Gregorio at 675-9269 or e-mail Gregorio at [email protected].