Surveying Society Hosts Surveying Merit Badge Event

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 The Penn State Surveying Society hosted a day-long session for Boy Scouts from all over the area to have the opportunity to earn the unique Surveying Merit Badge. The Boy Scouts from Luzerne County included troops 193, 28, 311, and 444. The event took place in the Bell Atlantic/Bell of Pennsylvania Building (Tech Center) and the Tech Center Lawn.

The Society put together binders for the scouts which included handouts on all requirements for the badge. Other than lecturing, the scouts performed various outdoor surveying related activities such as performing a five-sided traverse, leveling loop, and then draw out a scaled map with the information they gathered. With the help of the Society and friends, all Scouts were able to complete the badge and have a fantastic time at Penn State Wilkes-Barre.

"I have been involved in the Scouting program for many years and even though I was unable to earn this badge when I was a Boy Scout, it's incredible to give back to the scouting community by hosting the event here at Penn State Wilkes-Barre alongside my fellow members of the Surveying Society," explains Carmen Ciampi, Penn State Wilkes-Barre student and event organizer.