VA Education Benefits - text block

Penn State is a proud participant of the Veterans' Yellow Ribbon Program

If you’re an active-duty service member or veteran, a member of the National Guard or reserves, or a qualified survivor or dependent, you may be eligible to receive financial educational assistance through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Students must complete an application to determine eligibility. Detailed information can be found on the VA’s G.I. Bill® website. In addition, students must activate veteran educational benefits by contacting the campus veteran-certifying official, Diana Coslett (570-675-9242 or [email protected]).

(Note: Don’t forget to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) to apply for financial aid benefits beyond what you may receive from the VA. See the definition of veteran for the purposes of filling out the FAFSA.)

Types of VA Education Benefits

Chapter 30: Montgomery G.I. Bill®—Active Duty
This program is for veterans who enlisted on or after July 1, 1985 and who participated in the new educational program.

Chapter 31: Veteran Readiness and Employment
This program is for veterans with at least a 10% disability rating due to service-connected injuries.

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®
This is a new G.I. Bill® for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. Provisions include tuition and fees, basic housing allowance, and a stipend for books and supplies. Veterans eligible for Chapters 30, 1606 or 1607 may elect Chapter 33. In addition, the Yellow Ribbon Program may be able to help you pay for tuition that the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® doesn't cover.

Chapter 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance
This program is for dependents/survivors who are applying for survivors’ and dependents’ benefits for the first time. This program provides education assistance for qualifying spouses and children of veterans who either died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition, or have a 100% disability rating due to a service-connected injury.

Chapter 1606: Montgomery G.I. Bill®—Selected Reserve
This program is for Reservists who signed at least a 6-year contract on or after July 1, 1985, and who have served at least 180 days of active service.

“GI Bill” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at