These courses are for those who interact with Spanish-speaking employees or patrons in the workplace, and who are seeking basic conversational Spanish skills for use in their day-to-day communications. It is expected that participants will have no Spanish training or limited Spanish education that has been forgotten.
Who should attend: Managers, supervisors, classroom educators, health-care practitioners, and other professionals would benefit from these courses, as well as anyone else who wants to learn the language, be it for travel, work, or awareness.
Click on the courses below for course descriptions:
- Spanish in the Workplace: Level 1
- Spanish in the Workplace: Level 2
- Spanish in the Workplace: Level 3
These programs are all available for the same pricing and in the same scheduling format.
To register or for more information about any of our Spanish training offerings, contact Continuing Education at 570-675-9253 or [email protected].
This course will offer Spanish for the workplace to facilitate basic communication with employees or clients whose native language is Spanish. Emphasis is placed on oral communication and specific vocabulary used in a business context. Written and oral practice is provided to exercise the ability to find and communicate information of daily transactions.
- Become proficient in workplace Spanish vocabulary
- Demonstrate an ability to engage in simple business in Spanish
- Increase active vocabulary by practicing conversation with authentic materials
- Improve listening skills to become more proficient in understanding Spanish
- Understand basic questions and requests in Spanish
- Identify key grammatical structures to improve reading and speaking strategies in Spanish
- Develop your next level skill, in translating sentences and short texts or forms from English to Spanish and Spanish to English
- Improve cultural communication skills
- Be able to ask and in-take information to fill out documents pertaining to business
Dates: Thursdays, September 16–November 11, 2021
Times: 5:30–7:45 p.m. (Last class on 11/11 will be 5:30–8:30 pm)
Location: Virtual instructor-led training via Zoom videoconferencing
Cost: $359 per person
This workshop will refresh and reinforce the topics covered in Level 1. The class will continue conjugating verbs in the present tense along with gaining a general sense of the past and future tenses. At the end of the course, students will be able to carry on a simple conversation without consulting a dictionary.
This workshop begins by reviewing the basics of Spanish presented in Levels 1 and 2. (It is expected that students enter the class with a rudimentary understanding of pronunciation and the present tense). The differences between the two past tenses (preterite and imperfect) will be explored, along with further practice with the future tenses. Notes on culture will be added to each session, and the workshop will be adjusted according to the needs of class participants.