During the winter months, severe weather conditions may require the compression of periods or closing of the campus on either a partial or a full-day basis. Circumstances may call for:
- Compressed Class Schedule (if conditions seem to be improving but additional time is needed for travel to campus). All employees should report to work at 10:00 a.m. The first period class will begin at 10:00 a.m., and the rest of the day will follow the compressed schedule.) Decisions about day classes will be made by 6:00 a.m. and public announcements will follow.
- Campus Closed – No Classes – No Work (if poor conditions are predicted to continue all day and into the evening). When the campus is officially closed, radio and TV stations will simply report that the campus is closed. This means that neither day nor evening classes will meet, and offices will not be staffed. Only essential personnel are on duty at this time. Decisions about day classes will be made by 6:00 a.m. and public announcements will follow.
- Evening Classes and Special Events Cancelled (if conditions are predicted to worsen into the evening). All evening classes (those scheduled for 5pm or later) and special events are cancelled. Only essential personnel are on duty at this time. However, daytime classes are not cancelled. Decisions about evening classes will be made by 3:00 p.m. and public announcements will follow.
- Daytime Classes Cancelled (if conditions are predicted to improve later, enabling evening classes to meet). There are no daytime classes, and only essential personnel are on duty during the day. However, evening classes (those scheduled for 5pm or later) and special events are not cancelled.
- Classes Cancelled – Employees Remain at Work. If classes are cancelled during the course of the day, all employees shall remain at work until released by central administration.
Initial decisions by the campus administration are subject to revision based on changing weather conditions, so employees and students should check for updates if conditions seem to be deteriorating. For example, although daytime classes may run, evening classes could be cancelled later on.
On severe weather days all students, faculty and staff members are advised to check one of the sources below for official information about delays, cancellations, and campus closings.
- text message on your phone (if you are subscribed to PSU Alerts)
- the campus web site home page
- the campus weather announcement line: 570-675-2171.
- local TV and radio stations, including:
WBRE TV 28
WNEP TV 16
WYOU TV 22
WARM 590 AM
WAZL 1490 AM
WILK 980 AM
WEJL 630 AM
WNAK 730 AM
WKRZ 98.5 FM
WQFM 92.1 FM
WZMT 97.9 FM
MAGIC 92.9 FM
CAT COUNTRY 94.3 FM
FROGGY 101.3 FM
WHLM 106.5 FM