Adults: Admission Requirements

Adults: Admission Requirements

The Office of Admissions considers the following criteria in granting adult admission:

An adult learner may be 24 years of age or older; or a veteran of the armed services; or returning to school after four or more years of employment, homemaking, or other activity; or a person who assumes multiple adult roles such as parent, spouse/partner, employee, and student.

First-Year Degree Admission is the applicant who has earned a high-school diploma or the equivalent, or has earned fewer than 18 semester credits from another college/university. SAT or ACT scores will be waived for adult applicants who have been out of high school five or more years or veterans who have served in the military four years with an honorable discharge. In addition we will review each applicant's high school coursework and/or GED individually as we consider you for admission.

Transfer Admission. An individual who has earned a high-school diploma or the equivalent, is a United States citizen or an immigrant, and who has attempted at least 18 semester credits at other regionally accredited colleges or universities may seek transfer admission. An applicant who has not met entrance requirements or achieved a 2.00 grade-point average on a 4.00 scale for graded courses taken at institutions previously attended and who has been absent from the institution(s) for four calendar years may apply to enroll in credit courses as a provisional student.

Re-Enrollment and Academic Renewal. Have you attended Penn State previously? Use re-enrollment to resume degree study. Academic renewal provides re-enrolled students with the opportunity to resume their academic careers without being penalized by past academic records.

Non-Degree Student. If you are interested in earning a credit certificate or taking for-credit classes without earning a degree, simply fill out the Undergraduate Non-Degree Enrollment Application and send it to:

Penn State Wilkes-Barre
P.O. Box PSU
Lehman, PA 18627

Please note: For-credit courses may later be applied to a degree program.

Continuing Education. Continuing Education provides adults across Pennsylvania with the opportunity to take credit, non-credit, professional development, and special interest courses. Use this link to learn more about Continuing Education and certificate opportunities offered through Penn State Wilkes-Barre.